The principle of operation of the boiler
The simplified device of a water heater can be described as follows: in the lower part of the tank is an inlet for supplying cold water. From above it is closed by a bell-shaped divider so that the jet of cold water does not beat up, mixing with already prepared hot water, and spreads along the lower part of the boiler, where two TEN-a is located. Next to them is a temperature sensor and a thermostat, hidden in a protective flask. Its task is to control the operation of the boiler, turning on and off the heating elements in time.
At the top of the tank is a magnesium anode. It attracts salts dissolved in water and thereby protects the heating elements and the inner surface of the tank from corrosion, gradually destroying itself. Many modern models are equipped with a status indicator of the magnesium anode, which will tell you that it is time to replace it.
In the absence of water intake, the boiler, heating the water, keeps its temperature constant. As soon as the “hot” tap opens, water from the upper layer is fed through a plastic outlet pipe to a pipe for draining the hot water. And at this time, a new portion of cold water is drawn from below into the tank, gradually displacing already heated water up.
An inner tank is surrounded by a polyurethane insulation layer. Polyurethane “fur coat” reaches 19 mm, its task is to minimize heat loss.
Therefore, I do not advise choosing one that is smaller in diameter from two models of the same volume – this means that the manufacturer saved on thermal insulation. Especially cunning sellers, in this case, tell the bike that it is, they say, “new material that …” But … just read the technical characteristics of the model, and everything will become clear to you!
And finally, the external case, which can have a round or rectangular shape, is equipped with a thermometer, and under it there is a control panel with which you can set the temperature you need.
A few tips for the owner of the boiler
Be prepared for the fact that with the purchase of a boiler your energy bills will increase – this is a payment for comfort. But losses can be minimized if:
- Install the boiler as close as possible to the water outlets
- When using only the faucet, set the temperature to a minimum, and if you want to swim, warm it additionally. But shutting down the boiler at night will not bring much savings – only unnecessary hassle, and nothing more, since in high-quality devices the water temperature during the night (provided that they are not used) drops by only half a degree.
Attention: if the boiler is kept at a low temperature for a long time, the risk of reproduction of pathogens increases, therefore it is recommended to heat it at least once a week to 75 degrees!
- At the same time, do not get carried away with maximum temperatures: this will not only affect your wallet adversely but also lead to quick failure of the boiler, which is forced to constantly work at the limit of its capabilities. Its repair or replacement is also not free;
- When leaving for a long time, turn off the boiler, and if your absence lasts several months, it is advisable to drain the water from the tank;
- If you want to use both the boiler and centralized hot water in parallel, take care of the presence of properly installed locking fittings, otherwise part of the heated water from the boiler (and with it your money!) Will leak into the central water supply;
- If pipes in your apartment have not yet been changed, this must be done before installing the boiler. In addition, you should install coarse and fine filters, otherwise, your water heater will quickly fail;
- At least every 3 to 4 years, clean the boiler and remove the dirt that accumulates in the lower part of the tank and on the heating elements since this significantly increases the energy consumption.